Friday 7 October 2011

BT Broadband - Staff Selling Customer Details?

Over the past few days I have had a few run-ins with BT call centre staff. Shortly after one heated call to an Indian gentleman (which is usual for me & call centre staff) I had an Indian lady call me back about my broadband problem. She asked me to go into 'event manager' to look for errors...then tried to get me to access a website www.windowsonlinelab.com (do not go to that website, it downloads a program that allows remote access). Luckily enough I had no connection to attempt accessing it. I only realised it wasn't a genuine BT call when they spoke of my routers' green light (there is no green light). Do you think my information was passed on to scammers by BT?

4 comments:

  1. Nah, there's been plenty of stories about them basically just blind calling people. Given that BT has the largest customer base in the UK, that's just the easiest one to go for...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still not sure Jan. Talk is BT know it goes on but as they're paid peanuts, they let it slip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tech support scam. it's an attempt to take control of your PC and do things. Full information:

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/359233/the-unstoppable-tech-support-scam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon, I'm sure there's 1000's of them. That wasn't exactly like mine but something similar.

    ReplyDelete