Sunday, 16 February 2014

Monument To Russian-Georgian Friendship

This monument to Russian-Georgian friendship, lonely and run down, towers above the military highway, a feat of engineering at the time of its construction between 1799 and 1817. The road was necessary for Russia to conquer the Caucasus. It also made it easier for Russia to protect Georgia against the Ottoman and Persian empires, but consequently the Georgians forfeited their independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.